Civil Alliance announces a job opening: Lawyer for providing free legal aid.
Civil Alliance (GA), with the support of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Montenegro, is implementing a project to provide free legal assistance to all displaced persons who fled from the former Yugoslavia and whose applications for refugee status are still pending, or those who have been granted temporary residence status for up to 3 years, as well as persons at risk of statelessness.
The project aims to offer administrative, legal, and financial support to individuals under UNHCR protection in Podgorica, Montenegro:
- Including refugees from the former Yugoslavia awaiting permanent residency status, individuals with temporary residency status lacking the necessary documents,
- Individuals residing in Montenegro identified through field verification in November 2017 as persons at risk of statelessness.
- Individuals undergoing the procedure to determine stateless status in Montenegro and those granted stateless status.
Free legal aid includes:
- Obtaining necessary documents to regulate legal status in Montenegro, including documents from the country of origin.
- Initiating and representing clients in administrative and judicial procedures for birth registry entry in Montenegro and the home country.
- Submitting necessary documents to relevant authorities in Montenegro and home countries related to legal status regulation (writing lawsuits, requests, appeals).
- Initiating procedures with authorities to determine stateless status.
These activities will be conducted through participation in a multidisciplinary team established by UNHCR to ensure coordination of field activities and comprehensive analysis of the needs of individuals covered by the project.
- Regular field visits to clients in Montenegro.
- Proactively monitoring individual cases until legal status is resolved in Montenegro.
- Providing administrative, legal, and financial assistance to internally displaced persons and persons at risk of statelessness.
- Reporting regularly to the project coordinator on all activities and submitting work reports.
- Providing regular statistical data and reports, updating information on key trends, results, and challenges, and proposing solutions.
- Implementing other project activities as assessed by the project coordinator.
- Law degree.
- Driver’s license, Category B.
- Proficiency in MS Office and Excel. **Preferred:**
- Judicial exam qualification.
- Proficiency in English and/or other relevant foreign languages.
- Experience working in non-governmental or international organizations, especially in international protection programs.
- Experience in providing free legal aid to individuals seeking international or temporary protection and those granted such protection.
Skills and Knowledge Required:
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Openness to building good relationships with different ethnic groups.
- Strong organizational abilities.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multicultural and international team.
- Ability to plan tasks, set priorities, and execute tasks under pressure.
- Ability to implement operational plans.
- 40 hours per week (possibility of overtime, depending on program activities and field situations).
Salary: The position offers a gross salary of €1,150.00 EUR.
Applications and CVs should be sent to:
Tel: +382 20 513 687
Until September 14, 2023, until 12:00 PM.
Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.